Thursday, December 11, 2003

I was bored and looked up my name on Google. I came across dave's entry on my engagement dinner back in January of 2002. It was hilarious.

"its sort of a korean thing that when you meet someone for the first time, you have to sing a song. Not all the time, but it's common. Scott kim knows this-- when he met one of his relatives in korea (and i was there), he had to sing a song. He chose forever young. But anyhow, i'll tell that story another day.

but yeah, it's just a korean thing. so yeah, all those in the us planning to go to korea, be prepared to sing a song."

It's true!!!!!!!!! You do have to be prepared with a song. In fact, I sang "Take my Hand" by The Kry at Norma's engagement dinner party. There was a lull in the conversation, and Norma's mom said, "Let's sing a song! Who will sing a song for us?" I knew immediately that we had to organize and get it over with, because it's no use refusing politely. You'll end up doing it in the end. So my table got up and sang "Take My Hand," clapping in the background and everything. Of course, I initiated and encouraged (forced) everyone to do it.

When I met some Korean people in a different part of the world for the first time while I was traveling, I was introduced as the teacher from America to a crowd of people. I was with my mom, and all of a sudden, the crowd wanted a song in English! I was mortified, but my I could see that my mom was already planning for us to sing. So, I just swallowed my American pride, and we ended up singing a nice duet rendition of "God is so good." Hallelujah.


No comments: