Saturday, February 25, 2006

Is it too much to require our children to play piano until they're sixteen (Danny says eighteen)? I mean, that's BASE level. We're not going to deprive them of any other activity, sport, or hobby (within reason). They just need to manage it alongside piano. I thought this was very reasonable.

But unfortunately, someone who's staying at our place who shall remain nameless, expressed his opinion about this matter and said that it's too much. He apparently had a traumatic experience with piano lessons that involved tension with parents, lying, cheating, stealing, and all things bad. Hm. Did anyone else have a bad experience with piano?

I think both Danny and I had good experiences with learning piano. I mean, I'll speak for myself. Sure, I pretended I was practicing all afternoon when my mom came home from work. I admit it. Sure, I got mad at her when she forced me to practice, sitting by my side and watching my fingers like a hawk to make sure they were properly curved. But somehow I see now the point of the discipline. Discipline is never fun when you are going through it, but you know that there is a purpose to it. Most of the time, you see it in hindsight. That's what makes discipline difficult. You sometimes don't see the point until later. My mom lovingly disciplined me. All those times that were "negative" - I now look back on them fondly. I guess I'm lucky that they weren't as traumatic as other peoples' experiences. And perhaps I had some internal motivation to help keep me going anyways.

I guess the key for us as parents is to foster a love of music in our children, and then have piano lessons as just the normal thing to do as a result of the love. But if the piano lessons have to occur first in order to cultivate the love, I'm all for it, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom always forced me to take piano probably until I was 16. Afterwards she got tired of nagging, but then I wanted to go on my own. I even continued all through college. My parents got tired with my younger sisters and now they regret not continuing. My youngest sister played violin until she was 13 or so and now doesn't play at all. She says it's not fair that no one pushed her cuz what do kids know? We are often a product of the energy our parents put into pushing us to do certain things. I think it is good to push a kid, esp if they have exhibited a natural talent in that area. I think it's exhausting if you're pushing them to do something that they are so-so at though...

christina said...

Oh, it's Christina again...