Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Card

Today I got three personal letters/cards. One in particular stood out. It was a card from Aunt Phyllis. On the front of the card, it reads: "It's amazing how one little person can change your whole world." Inside are four little words that just struck me like a ton of styrofoam bricks. (Not real bricks because it didn't shatter or break me, but I say bricks because it still had shock value. So I chose styrofoam because it's much softer than real bricks, but when you get a ton of them, I'm sure they weigh you down.) It said: "Happy First Mother's Day."

Woa. I'm a mother. I have a daughter. On Sunday the United States of America recognizes mothers as people to be celebrated. That's me. Celebrate me! It feels weird to be on the other side. I've always seen Mother's Day as a time to celebrate my mother, which I still do. But now I'm the recipient of the celebration. One day Abby will bring home a hand-made piece of artwork from Sunday School saying "Happy Mother's Day!" Or not. How fascinating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! you get spam on your blog? Ironically, I was planning on making you one of those diaper cakes for your baby shower... no joke! Anywho... Happy First Mother's Day!!

sunju said...

Ellie made a handprint flower at church. They laminated them so the moms could keep them forever. I was all excited to get it, but she tried to give it to my friend Jenn instead. Boo. Peter got it back, though, and I'm TOTALLY keeping it forever.

sunju said...

Hmm. I tried posting a comment earlier and it wouldn't let me. Anyway, this was my first year to get a handmade gift, sort of. Ellie made a handprint in paint which our children's ministry people laminated and put on a popsicle stick as a flower. Sweet, if it weren't for the fact that Ellie tried to give it to my friend instead.

jieungrace said...

testing one two three