Friday, January 16, 2004

A good thing about being a teacher besides getting all those vacation days is that you get to live out "school" again without having the academic pressures. I feel like I'm living vicariously through these children. Being the official spelling bee coordinator for my school this year, I get to set up all the rules and participate in a spelling bee in a way that I've never done before. I was a pretty good speller when I was young, but I didn't have the opportunity to be in a spelling bee. This is my chance!

Also, I am one of the dance choreographers for the 8th grade play. This year we're doing "Wizard of Oz." I get to be part of a play/musical! Never in my high school career was this a reality. But now it is. I have all kinds of responsibilities such as helping with casting, singing, and dancing. I'm having a blast.

Oh, and I also got to tell my students and faculty that we should use the term "Lunar New Year" as a more inclusive term rather than "Chinese New Year," since a lot of countries/cultures celebrate the new moon. I realize that Chinese New Year is the most popular because of the presence of Chinese Americans, but I thought it would be cool to mention that it's actually more inclusive to say Lunar New Year. The principal complimented me on bringing it up. She's really into diversity and inclusivity.

No comments: