Saturday, May 08, 2004

It's the end of an era. Friends are parting ways. Now I realize that there are many haters out there. Enemies, if you will. But why hate? Why not love? Friends, as you know, has been there with me through thick and thin for the past ten years. I stuck with them, and they were faithful to me. From age 16 to 26 I've watched Phoebe, Rachel, Ross, Joey, Monica, and Chandler become their own person.

ONE thing I have against the show was that there wasn't a great positive Asian American character. Ross's ex-girlfriend Julie was alright, but Rachel hated her, and she eventually got dumped by Ross. I just didn't feel that she really was accepted by the friends. Then there was actor Steve Park who played an analyst at Chandler's office. Joey asked, "Are all analysts geeks?" I thought that was offensive. And Chandler once made a joke, "Can there BE any more Kims?" about Korean Americans.

Although I loved Friends and will get all ten seasons on DVD eventually (I have 1-3 already), it's time for a cup of coffee at a new cafe. Better yet, it's time for a boba cafe.

(I can't believe I turned this entry into an "eracism"/pro-Asian American/pro-minority entry.)