Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sacred Hours from 9pm to 2am

If you've ever noticed the time stamps on my blog entries, you'll see that they're written mostly from the hours of 9pm to 2am. Occasionally I'll sneak in an entry during one of Abby's naps during the day. I crave my alone time. During this time, I eat at a normal pace, shower at a normal pace, check email, upload pictures on flickr, read other peoples' blogs, pump milk, read, watch TV, pay my bills, write thank you cards, wash the dishes, pick up toys, take out the trash, tidy up the rooms, and spend time with Danny. Basically, my life resumes at night.

You can begin to wonder about some of the problems that arise from this routine.

Two of the chores that are pretty tricky to complete are cleaning the baby room (the baby is in there sleeping!) and doing laundry (since the laundry room in our apartment complex closes at 10pm, and I need about 2 hours). I have to muster up enough energy during the day to do these chores with the baby attached to me on a bjorn, or just slip away while the baby is playing with toys.

I don't get enough sleep. If I sleep at 2am, and the baby wakes up at 6:30am, that's only 4 hours. Now, potentially, I can get 9 hours of sleep if I go to bed right when I put the baby to bed. But therein lies the problem. I can't sleep at such an early hour! I would be lying in bed with my eyes wide open until about midnight or 1am. That would mean that I wasted 3 to 4 hours of productivity. I guess I could always go to bed at midnight and get about 6 and a half hours of sleep. That's ultimately my goal, but it's so hard to break a habit.

I was sooo happy when I discovered a fellow night owl. Jenny, of George and Jenny. She text messaged me at around midnight last month to ask if they could bring something over for dinner the next day. I was like, "Woa! She's still up???" I was so excited that I decided to text her back immediately. The next night, we talked about how we're both night owls, rather sheepishly, because it's so not appropriate to be a night owl in this society. We're a minority. I'm talking about post-college. We are discriminated against institutionally. Schools start at 8am! People go to work at 7-8am!

Anyways, I'm wondering when does everyone else go to bed? Am I a lone owl? Hoot. Hoot...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find myself staying up until midnight, too most days because those hours are so precious when Aaron is asleep, although I miss him like crazy. I have to force myself to sleep on days I go to work.

You should try and push up Abby's bedtime to around 7:30PM or 8PM. She's at an age where she could potentially sleep that long from 7:30 to 6:30. What's strange also, is that the earlier I put Aaron down for bedtime, the longer he sleeps. Just each day start her bedtime routine like 30 minutes early. When I did this Aaron (because he used to sleep at 10PM), he seemed to sleep longer and would still wake up at the same time. It took like a week or so, but then you can squeeze in a little more alone time.

sunju said...

I go to bed around 1 or 2 every night and wake up at 7 or so. You know... enjoying my time, too. Unfortunately, I am lacking the luxury of naps. I'm so tired.

Anonymous said...

ever since i got pregnant, i am totally awake until 2-3 am. then i sleep until noon! if you're bored, and can't sleep, text me! this is soo kim!!!