Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sleep Training

Parents are split over the issue of training their infants to sleep. Some are gungho about letting the child cry it out. Others are all about attending to their every cry and making sure the infant is asleep before laying them down in their cribs.

Before I had a child I was like, "Of course let her cry it out!" Ch. And then Abby was born. How could I, her mother, her protector, let her cry for more than five minutes?? I understand that line of reasoning. For the past four months, we've been doing a combination approach where we would put her down drowsy, sometimes with a pacifier, sometimes swaddled in a miracle blanket, sometimes dead asleep, sometimes this and sometimes that. Even if she was able to go through the night without food, she still would wake up a couple of times due to gas, noise, or whatever. Combine that with the fact that I don't actually go to bed until around 2am (I'm a night owl), and the result is that I haven't really slept for more than five hours at one time for the past four months. But I'm not complaining. I'm just telling it like it is. I usually make up for the sleep debt during the day by taking multiple naps.

Anyways, at Abby's 4 month appointment, the doctor declared that Abby was a very healthy baby. She's got rolls of fat, she's reached plenty of milestones (like rolling over), and she makes all kinds of new noises (including a shriek that resembles what one would imagine a velociraptor sounded like). Sooooo, Danny and I decided that Abby shall now cry herself to sleep. That sounds so harsh to me when I say it, but there's no reason why she shouldn't be able to soothe herself now.

Problem: But what if she rolls over and gets her arm stuck and can't breathe?
Solution: We put these wedges next to her body on both sides so that she can't roll over. Bought them at Target. I figure when she has mastered rolling over on both sides she won't need them anymore. Plus, it is good to put your infant to sleep on her back (I put her on her tummy for naps only now).

Problem: But what if she's going through a growth spurt and crying because she's hungry?
Solution: This is a big question for me because as the sole giver of nutrition for my child, I'm always worrying about if I'm doing an OK job. But let's face the facts. She's pretty huge. The doctor says she's in the 75th percentile for her weight. In addition, people at church have referred to her as "fatso," "chubby," "gargantuan," "sumo wrestler," and the like. You can't deny that she's getting enough to eat. So if she's hungry, I'm sure it's not going to be a big deal. As for growth spurts, someone told me that even if babies go through growth spurts, they can still sleep through the night. They can just eat more frequently during the day.

Problem: What if she's afraid of the dark and she's crying out of fear?
Solution: We thought of getting a nightlight, but haven't quite gotten it yet. Perhaps it's true, but it's not likely.

Problem: What if she doesn't know how to soothe herself?
Solution: Before Abby discovered that she can suck her fingers to soothe herself, I did not believe in letting her "cry it out." It would have just been literally tiring yourself out by crying, and not knowing how to soothe yourself. But now, she knows how to suck her fingers, and when she stops crying or fussing long enough to remember that she knows how to soothe herself, she'll do it and she'll fall asleep. The only way we would've known this is to just try it out one day. We did, and eventually she found her fingers, and she was able to calm down. Although it took her one hour of crying. Of course, we would check on her every five minutes or so to make sure that she was OK.

Problem: What if she needs to burp and can't do it on her own?
Solution: We try to make sure that we burp her before she goes to sleep. And if she's still uncomfortable due to gas, then eventually she'll spit up and it'll be fine. It might a little bit messy, but it's not the end of the world.

So anyways, even if there are solutions to the many problems I worry about, I STILL worry. We started this "cry it out" approach this week, and every time I put her down, my heart breaks. Did I feed her enough? Is it too early to put her down? Does she want to stay up just a little longer? Is she in pain and I just don't know it? Is a bug biting her? Is she bleeding and screaming her head off to warn me? Did I change her diaper? Is the tag on her clothes bothering her? Will her vocal cords be ruined? Am I a BAD mother? Is this really necessary? Can't I just hold her all night? Why can't she just sleep with me? Does she feel abandoned? These are just examples of some of the questions I ask myself.

On the plus side, she seems to sleep better if she's left to soothe herself to sleep. So I know that our little method is helping her, but I am holding my breath every night until she's sound asleep. It takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour of crying. Will it get better? Should we try a different approach? Will the madness of questions end?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Jieun, I understand your pain and guilt! Why is there so much guilt with parenting????? But since we sleep trained Aaron, we NEVER, i mean not even one night in 18 months, had to tend to him during the night. I really feel like letting him cry to sleep is not a big deal and we're doing him a favor. But any other time he cries during the day, we are always there for him.

Sandy said...

Hi Jieun!

This entry was SO interesting to me. Actually, all of your entries about Abby fascinate me (she is SO ADORABLE by the way. LOVE the eyelashes). They give me an idea about what I can expect from Isaac in a couple months time.

Anyway, Scott and I have been obsessed with Isaac's sleep habits probably since his second week. (Is that terrible? Sometimes I'm ridden with guilt that we're making our sleep too much of a priority...:() He's 4 weeks and 2 days old now, and typically waking up once at night to feed, after a 5-5.5 hour stretch. That's technically "sleeping through the night" at his age.

We haven't had to do the traditional cry-it-out approach yet, because what's worked for us is to keep him up 2-3 hours before putting him down. That consists of playing with him, giving him some tummy time, bathing him, and then finally nursing him. If he's still not asleep after he's been fed (although he's always very drowsy by that point), I just sing to him or rock him until he's asleep (I'm going to have to work on putting him down drowsy but awake as he gets older). Once we started doing that, he started sleeping for longer and longer stretches of time.

Of course, he'll cry within that 2-3 hour period before bedtime, especially at tummy time, and Scott has always advocated letting him cry it out for a while even though I HATE it. Hearing Isaac cry for too long just breaks my heart, so I try to limit it even though Scott tries to prolong it.

Last night though, I found out that he doesn't need to be tired out by a period of crying in order to sleep well at night. We took him to a friend's house and ended up staying there way too long. We didn't get home until after 9 even though his bedtime is usually around 9:30. He did however, stay awake during the usual before-bedtime hours, so I decided to just feed him and put him down. And he slept 5 hours as usual. No crying necessary! Yay!

Also, as a general rule of thumb, I try not to let him sleep too much during the daytime. I'll wake him up to feed after 2.5- 3 hours if he doesn't wake up by himself.

The book "Good Night, Sleep Tight" by Kim West has been our sleeping guide for Isaac thus far, and it has chapters for every stage until toddlerhood. Her advice has really worked so far! You might want to check it out if the cry-it-out method is too heartbreaking for you...

Wow, sorry for such a long comment, but it's nice to talk about something that has consumed so much of my time, energy, and thoughts! :)

sunju said...

Sleep has always been our biggest issue with Ellie. Still is. No advice to give here! We STILL lay down with her sometimes. Matthew slept 8 hours again last night. Hopefully it'll stick this time. Good luck! Remember - no matter what you decide to do, you're not a bad mother. Hopefully you'll at least be a sane one.

jieungrace said...

Wow, thanks for leaving your comments! Tonight I had the same kinds of feelings when we put Abby to bed. She went to sleep in 22 minutes. The other thing about Abby is that since she's so big now, I can't really hold her in a comfortable position long enough to rock her and let her get drowsy. Plus, she arches her back and wants her independence, but still desires my touch. So I'll put her in her crib, and pat her for a while and kiss her goodnight, and then leave her crying.

Question for Karen: Does Aaron not cry when going to sleep? Since when did that happen? At what month?

Sophia Ott said...

you are a wonderful mom and i love absorbing all your lessons for the future.

Anonymous said...

hi jieun! i found your blog. hope you don't mind me reading =) you are being a wonderful mom. part of the difficulty of parenting is applying God's grace to yourself as a parent! babies cry...they'll do that, even if you've been the perfect parent (and there's no such thing anyways). and it's normal, even necessary... if babies never learn how to soothe themselves to bed or develop new skills and abilities along the way, you and i would still need somebody to feed us and carry us and soothe us to bed when we wake up in the middle of the night. it's obvious abby is much loved and she will grow up knowing that. all that said, there is a great book by the way on sleep in children of all age groups (yes, sleep issues aren't just in the 1st year of life!)called "AAP's Guide to Your Child's Sleep: Birth through Adolescence". good resource. i know you guys have probably already read tons of books (and be careful with what you choose by the way, too much stuff out there unfortunately), but this is a nice focused book on a common issue, from a reliable source.

Anonymous said...

I realize these posts are old...and now it is 2008, but anyone interested in sleep training should read some REAL research by:
James J. McKenna PhD Director of the Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory of Notre Dame.
His work is easily seen online...

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)