Thursday, September 04, 2003

First day of school. So much happens in a day when you're in charge of a group of kids. I usually forget to write about it, or forget to tell someone about it. One girl handed me a cluster of roses the first day school. 10 points for her! Another kid brought in the wrong summer book. One emotional girl was very nervous about starting third grade, so I had to talk to her to warm her up before all the other students came. We were deciding on rules for the class, and one student suggested in a serious tone, "Be appropriate and mature." I love that rule. I would love it if everyone were appropriate and mature throughout the whole year. All in all, it was a great first day of school. I taught my kids how to say "hello" in Korean. It was great being able to infuse Asian American studies into my work. I love my job. I will now go shopping for some back-to-school clothes.

No comments: