Monday, September 29, 2003

My car is in the shop. Don't know what the problem is yet. Cars.

My first car, a light blue '80 Chevy Chevette, brings back a lot of great memories. I was sixteen, and was one of the first tenth graders at my high school to own a car. It had been given to me for free from a parent's friend. I was so bold to drive around in that clunker!

I didn't mind so much at the time, but if you know a little bit about Whitney High School, you would also know that the parking lot of Whitney was a mini show room of brand spankin' new cars given to teenagers to drive, given to them from guilty and rich parents who didn't have much time to spend with their kids, but made it up by buying them new cars. (Even I ended up getting a new Honda Civic sedan after my Chevy Chevette died on the road.)

Anyways, I was never embarrassed about driving my Chevette, and all my friends were very supportive of my car. I remember Elsa bought me a car freshener to hang on my rearview mirror. It was one of those flat trees with a fresh lemon scent. And in the summer, when the air conditioner wasn't working and was in fact blasting hot air onto all of our legs, they still said "What a cool car!" It was great. It was amazing how much I wasn't into peer pressure in regards to this topic. I was so unvain.

In fact, I was very unvain in many other ways back in high school. As I grew older, I started to care more about what other people thought of me. Now I'm the most vain person I know. Isn't vanity a sin? Yes. My God. What kind of a life have I been living?

My little blue Chevy Chevette will always linger in my memories as a reminder of how I should live my life - in modesty.

Was that enough paragraphs for you, Henry?

1 comment:

SM Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.