Thursday, July 01, 2004

Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I organized our books on our two bookshelves. The books are organized loosely in the following categories: small-sized books, Asian-American literature, Christian, programming, Education-related books, Danny's fiction, Jieun's fiction, Resources, foreign language textbooks and books, and dictionaries. Please, feel free to borrow any of our books. Just make sure to sign in. I lent When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park to Hanah. I thought she might find it a bit interesting. OK FINE. I'm trying to convert everyone into Asian/Asian-American literature fans!

But really. What is Asian-American? Asian America? How did we come to this place? I honestly think that my life would have been much simpler if I were raised in Korea. No cultural barriers to worry about. I don't know. I guess you can argue that it's just one layer among many problems in life. Sure.

But thinking about it in the grand purpose of life, I think God has a purpose for creating Asian-Americans. As he does for other people who are bicultural. I guess the movement of people into new lands has always been in the Bible. Abraham did it. Moses. Ruth. That's how God wanted to reach other people. Through people. I was reached through my mom, who was reached through a door-to-door missionary somewhere in Korea. He was reached by someone, and before that guy, and so on, and so on, until probably the first missionary in Korea in the 1800s. I'm just guessing here, but if this were true, then I'm a product of the first missionaries who went to closed Korea, who were white Westerners from somewhere in Europe or America. And now South Korea sends out missionaries like crazy to all over the world.

Missions is fascinating to me. The history of the world can be looked at in terms of church history and missions. Where did you hear about Jesus?

No comments: