Monday, August 09, 2004

I saw John Park get married this weekend. Woohoo! He snagged a good one. I've been to so many weddings, it's hard to really get into each wedding that we go to nowadays. I try really hard not to fall into that attitude of "what? another wedding??"

At this particular wedding, I really liked the message. The husband is called to love his bride, and the wife is called to respect her groom. It's a simple cycle; yet it's so hard. I'm sure Danny gets tired of loving me sacrificially, as Christ did for the Church. How can man be expected to do something so supernatural as giving up one's life for his wife? And yet husbands are called on that high of a level to love. I think this is why I really think that the guy should pursue after the girl, and show his love to her by reaching out. It's a picture of how God pursues us, and sacrifices Himself for us.

And I'm sure I'll get tired of respecting Danny all the time (although this has never happened). Through all his career pursuits (which are many and varied, mind you), all of his hobbies (including reading Spiderman comics on the computer, playing Fantasy baseball, Mindsweeper, etc.), and all of his decisions big and small, I'm called to respect him. I think I can do that. I'm willing to do that. I want to do it. In fact, I promised to do that! Every year I'm discovering exactly what I promised when I said "I do" on that June day in 2002. :) My main concern that day was to not ruin my make-up, which was moot because the make-up sucked anyway. I only scratched the surface of knowing what it means to be married.

The message this weekend renewed my sense of what a marriage is supposed to look like. Marriage is great!

No comments: