Tuesday, August 03, 2004

New thing I learned about my Chinese. My teacher told me that my "r" sound was sounding a lot like "r/l", which is interesting because I was purposefully doing the "r/l" sound. Why, you ask? Because that's what I heard, so I was just replicating the sound. But, it turns out that I was hearing it wrong. So she corrected me to say it as purely "r" and not "r/l."

The thing is, I think being Korean-American helped me be flexible. If I were just Korean, I don't think I would be able to distinguish or even produce that sound. Or at least it would be really difficult. In the Korean language, there is no "r" sound. There's only "r/l" and pure "l" sound. That's why my mother had a terrible time saying "girl". It came out as "gull".

Because I learned English at such an early age, I have the ability and the ease to distinguish between the "r" and "r/l" sound. Thank you.

As much as I love learning Chinese and taking this class, I will be so glad when finals are over this Friday. And then on to LA for a wedding!

No comments: